Bringing families together

« Back to Home

Tips for Successful Partner Visa Application

Posted on

Does your partner require a visa, or are you undergoing the process yourself?  Below are a few tips for preparing your application for lodgement to ensure a smooth process.

Choose Your Type of Visa Carefully

There are three types of partner visas that you may be eligible for:

Prospective Marriage Visa (Subclass 300)

This is a temporary visa for couples who intend to get married. Within a few months of obtaining the visa, you must marry your partner. You must be outside Australia when you apply and receive the prospective visa.

Partner Visa Offshore (Subclasses 309 and 100)

A 309 Visa enables applicants in a de facto relationship or married to stay in Australia for a few years. Following that, you can apply for a subclass 100 permanent partner visa, which will allow you to stay in the country indefinitely. The Department of Home Affairs must grant you a visa before you can enter Australia. 

Partner Visa Onshore (Subclass 820/801)

Subclass 820 is a temporary partner visa, while Subclass 801 is a permanent visa. You can live with your partner in Australia for a few years while you prepare your permanent 801 visa application. Visa applications and decisions are only different from offshore visas because you have to be physically present in Australia.

Partner visa applications must meet certain requirements set by law. If you and your partner do not meet the criteria, the Department of Immigration may have to refuse your application.

Respond Promptly to Any Requests From the Department Of Immigration

The Department may write to you to request additional information to support your visa application. Without your response to additional immigration queries within the specified timeframe, the department may decide about your case based on the evidence available. The result could be the rejection of your application.

Maintain Regular Contact with Your Partner

In the case of a long-distance relationship, making regular contact with your partner or spouse is essential. Moreover, you must also maintain an accurate record of your communications.

The records will provide the case officer with a clear picture of your commitment level and the nature of your relationship.

Get Help From a Migration Agent

Applying for a visa does not require you to work with an agent. However, taking on the visa process as an individual is a long, complex and demanding process. Therefore, you may need the help of an immigration agent. The agent will provide customised guidance depending on your case scenario and relationship dynamics.

Always make sure your migration agent has registered and has a Migration Agent Registration Number (MARN).

Be patient when filling out and lodging your application. Additionally, you must submit accurate and complete information to ensure smooth processing.  

For more info about partner visas, contact a local professional.